Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chapter 3 Oh the Joy!

Chapter 3
Oh the Joy!

 
Colette Jordan Griffin
( boggiest and dog lover)
Thank you Tracy for your friendship and fulfilling our dream.
   Well you must know by now we have been looking endlessly for an Irish wolfhound puppy. But not just any puppy will do, oh no, we had to jump in with both feet and get a show puppy. We preferred a male as they are extremely impressive in size usually about 32 to 34 inches tall at the shoulder and extremely stunning in the ring. Brindle or a dark Wheaton, were my preferred colors making the search just a little harder.  It’s amazing how hard it is to find just what you’re looking for, Wolfhounds come in a variety of colors from black to white with many shades and variations in between, including reds, brindles and wheaten.

  
Tracy A Maccarthy with McDugan and Willow
 
But first we had to find a breeder, the search was exhausting but with months of persistence, as I don’t give up easily, we settled on one who has become one of our very dear friends, Tracy A Maccarthy, from Utah.  She has been breeding showing and racing Irish wolfhounds for over 20 years. Her love for dogs was very heart warming to say the least, she was so sweet and so polite, very knowledgeable, and such a wonderful lady that I liked her right off.  She was honest with us and told us up front what she expected of her new prospective parents. She didn’t hesitate to show us the puppyfax as I would put it, on her breeding program, and pedigrees. We were able to see both sides of the sire and dam and included the health records of the puppies as well. The paperwork on her dogs was well documented and very informative.

 Tracy is very particular as to who gets her puppies, so after she did a through screening of our home life, characters, and experiences, with animals, she said she may have just what we were looking for. We were thrilled!, our heart will filled with such joy that you can't even imagine it.

 Tracy explained, as with all show prospects no guarantees can be made that it will make it to a champion, and that there are a lot of factors that goes into the mix. This goes without saying, I said: one can only work hard at it and hope for the best. Especially being a new comer to the west coast show circuit.  Good bites, nice angulations and great looking heads can quickly change with the growth of any dog. I worry about my own ability's as we, although I have done very well in the obedience ring, my dogs taking several titles in Canada and the USA, but the breed ring, is a new playing field. I have shown a bit in conformation, but have never titled a champion as of yet. I am hoping my puppies and I will learn and grow together. After all every Champion had to start at the bottom and work their way to the top.
 
Colette and Distance
Showing for us is secondary, we want first a dog that is happy, healthy and has a sweet temperament. A dog we could love and give a forever home to win or lose. The Show part will just have to be what it is, and hope for the best. If he doesn’t make it, oh well wouldn’t be the first time I had to pull a dog off the circuit due to a flaw that produced it’s self at a later date, my last wolfhound, Distance, sadly had to be neutered and didn’t finish his title due to a medical problems beyond anyone’s control, and we loved him until the end.  Not every dog makes it in the ring, that is a fact of life, and for me to go in thinking otherwise would only be a big disappointment later.  But I am, and always will be an optimist, so I will hope for the best and give it my all.  I have met several wonderful breeders and Judges out there and I know any of them will be there with advice and help if needed, because that’s what Wolfhound people do, they are awesome people. they believe in wishing well for everyone who owns a Wolfhound, it's like having an extended family, Tracy too will be with us all the way and we are look forward to a long wonderful friendship with her. 

Oh and by the way, we decided to get two because like potato chips, you can't have just one.

It was pure Lady luck on our part to find Tracy, we just happen to stumble upon a few pictures she had been sharing with mutual friends on our Wolfhound social network.  Like most other wolfhound breeders, Tracy doesn’t advertise in the papers or magazines she usually has a waiting list, or word of mouth, so Lady Luck, Thank you for our breeder and friend, Tracy A Maccarthy, we love you girl! J

McDugan, Willow, and litter mates
 

And that’s the Puppy Buzz on DoggieTalk   
Huggies to my doggies
Colette

4 comments:

  1. What a lucky pair of pups to be going to such an amazing mom and dad. I have been so blessed by our friendship. Love you bunches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy you ROCK as a breeder and I too have been so blessed by you that I felt my readers should know about you. You are a caring loving Wolfhound mom. You know and understand your breed and should have a little more credit, than just the love of your dogs. so I dedicated this to you. You have made us very happy new parents.

      Delete
  2. I have no doubt that you will be a fantastic Mom to your pups. I know how much you love and care for animals. Can't wait for more pictures. Ok gonna click on Anonymous but it's me Gail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. join the site I would love you to follow the feeds. :)

      Delete